Officials say man severely burned from hash oil explosion
A Pittsfield man is left with severe wounds after a hash oil explosion that occurred in a mill building on Keeler Street on February 21st. Authorities say numerous cannabis plants were discovered in the building and that extraction of cannabis products using flammable gasses like butane or propane was what likely led to the explosion.
Massachusetts state law prohibits manufacturing marijuana or hemp for personal use by means of any liquid or gas, other than alcohol, that has a flashpoint below 100 degrees Fahrenheit.
Officials only learned about the incident after it was reported to the Massachusetts Burn Injury Reporting System. Hospitals report burn injuries that cover at least 5 percent of an individuals body. The man, who was not identified, was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston. An investigation is underway.